St John Ambulance Australia raises funds for eye care projects in Australia, East Timor and in Jerusalem, including:
- The St John Eye Hospital Jerusalem http://www.stjohneyehospital.org/.
- Outreach Nurses who, operating out of the Jerusalem Hospital, travel into remote areas of the West Bank and Gaza Strip with a mobile unit to deliver diagnostic and primary eye care to the young, frail and elderly who are unable to travel.
- A project in Dubbo, NSW to provide a tele-ophthalmic eye screening and treatment program for diabetic retinopathy, serving Indigenous patients living in the Macquarie Area Health Service. (supported by St John NSW).
- A project to train an eye screening aboriginal health worker in Katherine, Northern Territory.
- An Australian medical team to perform a range of eye operations and other interventions for the people of Oecussi, East Timor.
St John is always looking for volunteers to help raise funds for these important eye care projects.
To find out more about becoming a St John Ophthalmic Volunteer, select Becoming a Volunteer